Thursday, March 26, 2009

a job that needs to be done

this mornings reading in "our daily bread" caught my attention. a recent "dirty jobs" segment with mike rowe had mike inside one of the support towers of the mackinac bridge in northern michigan. mike says to one of the painters, "there's no glory in what you do". the painter replies, "no, but it's a job that must be done". the story is that while probably no one knows what the painter does, his work serves to protect the interior of the bridge support towers so they don't corrode thereby compromising the integrity of the bridge. so many things in our lives go on without our knowledge, without even being noticed, but they are vitally important. sometimes it might just be in a smile to the person handing you your breakfast at a local fast food joint or that you speak kindly to the checkout clerk at walmart. whatever it is, it is our opportunity to give to others what Christ gives to us - faith, hope and love. and that is a job that needs to be done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I believe that everyone we encounter touches our lives in some way. It might be in the smallest way, but it is in some way. And, yes, that includes the clerk at Walmart. With that being said, I have to look at the flip side--I have the capability of touching the lives of all whom I encounter. So I have to ask myself, "Do I want that to be in a positive way or in a negative way?"