Friday, March 13, 2009

simple statements

in second corinthians chapter one verse 10b, paul makes this statement, "on Him we have set our hope". a simple statement but it stopped me in my morning readings today. in whom do i/you/we put our hope? i would say many are putting their hope in our new president. and while i hope that president obama is doing the right things, my hope is in God. my hope is that we will all, as the p.o.d. song says, "sing a new song". in this part of the first chapter of second corinthians, paul is telling those who will listen that God is our comforter. i know personally through my financial mismanagement - tens of thousands of dollars in credit card debt - a few years ago that the first thing that God gave me was a peace about things so that i could see the big picture. he comforted me, even though i did not deserve it, and said that this can be fixed. before i allowed God control over the situation, i could not get past the anxieties of the mess i had made to even know what to do. but He washed a peace over me and while i did not hear Him audibly, i sensed that He was telling me to set my hope in Him for the trouble i was in was earthly and He has much greater things for me to focus on. i have told people that the peace He gave me put in to action my new life. the debt did not disappear, but i received a new perspective that allowed me to follow Him and i still do today. over a period of time, i erased the debt and do not carry a credit card to this day. i can not describe the overwhelming joy and weight lifted off me when i became credit card debt free. i could not have done it without Him leading the way. whatever you are faced with today in these uncertain economic times, set your hope in Him. it is free to all that seek Him and He will set you free. simple - set your hope on Him.

No comments: