Thursday, March 26, 2009

thoughts on crazy love

i haven't a clue how many or if any people read this blog. i really write to kinda put down some of my random thoughts without much regard if anyone is out there. so many times i have said to myself "who cares?". it doesn't matter. as our journey team heads into the last two chapters of francis chan's book "crazy love", i just want to reverberate what the book is doing to us. this is a book that will really challenge you to look inside yourself. ask yourself serious questions and then to put your money where your mouth is. it is not something that you probably haven't heard before, it is just the way chan speaks to you. i don't know why but he seems to ask the things i would imagine that all pastors want to ask but are afraid to. the one thing that continues to resonate in my heart is what am i willing to sacrifice for Him? what am i willing to give away to help others? time, money, possessions, love? chan paints a picture of christian "lukewarmness" and i find myself there. and that place can be a bit frightening 'cause i thought i was more in love with Him than that. but the real good thing is that where i might be now is not where i want to stay. therein lies the question - where is that and how do i get there? in chapter 8 chan asks you to pray this prayer, "God bring me closer to You during this trip, whatever it takes". chan uses the word "trip" but i think you can substitute whatever you want to fit what is going on in your life. this prayer was especially meaningful to me as i prepare to travel to haiti next month to meet with the young girl and her family that my wife and i sponsor through compassion international. i want God to continue to draw me closer to Him, do you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I'm Sparrow from the divine nobodies group on ning. I've read Crazy Love, and it was/is instrumental in correcting my misconstrued view of God. It really is in the way Chan explains it. I grew up in church, trying to earn my way--Chan relates the gospel as it ought to be, a gospel of love.