Wednesday, January 28, 2009

what's going on?

i read yesterday where a man in southern california under the stress of job loss and money issues shot and killed his wife, their five children and then himself. it haunts me. how low do things have to get that murder-suicide becomes an option. this morning while reading the daily devotional "my utmost for his highest" by oswald chambers, he refers to matthew 11:29; "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls". things must have been so dark and unbearable that this man could not even find his way to God for help - how tragic. in the midst of mounting and crippling credit card debt over five years ago did i find God through His Son Jesus Christ who reached out and said to me in matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest". i was in serious credit card debt and while the words of Jesus did not make the debt go away, they did provide an immediate peace that washed over me and gave me the ability to see things more clearly. i don't have the answers, He does though. i can honestly say that He has lead my life ever since. to this day i do not carry any credit cards, just a debit card so if there is no money there is no purchase. He has given me new eyes for the "wants and needs" in my life. i do not want for the things that i used to. i am more content with what i have - no more "keeping up with the jones". what others think of me is of no consequence, only what He thinks of me is important. this murder-suicide in california is not the first nor the last but it should be. we have got to help each other. now is the time to stand up and make a difference. what's going on with you? are you weary and in need of rest? take a moment and read matthew 11:28-30;
28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
now that is real peace

1 comment:

Gene said...

You don't want to keep up with the Joneses? I thought you idolized Lance Jones?